31st Jul, 2018 PR Visa, Canada

What International students need to know?

Canada invites more than 120,000 international Students every year. Some students come for the High-Quality Education at an affordable cost, a high-tech Campus, a Safe Community.

While certain Students come for high standard of Living, Friendly Environment, a Bilingual Nation. Most students come with the objective of obtaining Canadian work experience and ultimately, Permanent Residence.

Here are some tips for achieving that goal.

1) Selection of the College Or University: Designated Learning Institute (DLI) and Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP):
  • In order to qualify for a study permit, your College/University needs to be a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). It’s also important to know whether your program of study at your College/University will qualify you for acquiring a Post Graduate Work Permit after you finish your program.
  • On the other hand, in order to be eligible for the Post Graduate Work Permit, a College/University also has to be a diploma or degree granting institute. Most private Colleges or Universities don’t meet the provincial standards for granting a degree, diploma or certificate and you will not be permitted to a Post Graduate Work Permit.
  • A considerable lot of these private Colleges/Universities have a co-op program which consolidates both Study and practical Work Experience. However, co-op work experience is not accepted by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to apply for permanent residence.
  • You should acquire a degree or diploma from an institute recognized by IRCC to be able to qualify for Permanent Residence in future.
2) Work Experience:

Gaining work experience after you graduate is vital to be eligible for Permanent Residence in Canada’s Express Entry system. Bachelor’s degree (3+ years), a college diploma (2 years) or certificate programs (8-10 months) are the degrees which you can acquire.

With a Bachelor’s degree or a college diploma, you are qualified for a 3 year post graduate work permit (PGWP). With a Certificate program you can only achieve a 1 year post graduate work permit which is not qualified for permanent residence.

3) Language:

Language is the most important factor in the Express Entry system for Permanent Residence. The higher your language skill in either English or French, your chances of being offered an Invitation to Apply in the Express Entry system are better.

CLB level 7 is minimum to apply while CLB 9 will help you a lot to collect enough points under CRS which eventually make you qualify under the Express Entry Draw.

4) Work while you Study:

Exploit the chance to work while you are studying. International students don’t require work permits to work in Canada. Your study permit enables you to work up to 20 hours per week while you are attending College/University. But be sure to study full time. If at any stage you are not in full-time attendance at College/University, you are not authorized to work further.

If you carry on to work and come in consideration of IRCC you will be given an Exclusion Order and required to leave Canada without finishing your studies. Make sure to recognize what constitutes full-time study and never fall beneath that course load.

You are only eligible for the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) if you have been studying on a full-time basis throughout your studies in Canada.